Monday, August 9, 2010

Splash Pad Fun

A new park just opened up a few minutes' walk down the street from us. There are a lot of parks here, but it's nice to have one within walking distance. The problem is, who wants to walk anywhere and be outside in this heat? Our heat index is over 100 today and there is a heat advisory for the coastal areas closeby. I know this doesn't sound that bad to my friends and family living in the heat of the AZ valley, but you have to factor in the humidity here. The fact is, it's just too hot to be outside at a park during the day. But this new park just made McAllen livable. It has a water area! Woo hoo! Billy had an absolute blast! He was a little wary at first, but quickly realized how much fun it was and was running around with all of the other kids there. We happened to know a few of them because there was a family from our ward there, so they played with him and helped him acclimate. I only took my regular digital camera, so I wasn't able to capture the great face shots, but here are a few . . . (ok, a lot)! I took Sam, too, and tied his leash up to the stroller while we were playing. Well, our little dog obviously has some separation issues - he broke his leash twice trying to get to us! It was a new leash, too. Think Target will take it back without a receipt?









3 comments:

  1. Very nice - those are called splash pads. I've been trying to talk those up here in SA - significantly cheaper, tons safer, and kids have just as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one cost the City of McAllen $230k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching the kids get splashed in the face by the really big water blasts. I'm horrible. But it is so funny! I love that picture of Billy kneeling by the big spout of water. I'm sure it was hilarious to watch :)

    ReplyDelete